Thursday, August 13, 2009

Words Do Not Speak The Truth




What are words? Black marks stamped on paper, ink on parchment, sounds spoke from the mouth? They can speak what we believe to be truth. They can be twisted and manipulated. They can be written and re-written. Even when written down they do not necessarily explain an event in its purest truth.

Even in their most honest display they can only point to something. They can tell us “The Kingdom of God is Within You”, “Form is Emptiness; Emptiness is Form”.

But eventually words must be let go of, the raft must be abandoned. If you never abandon the raft you will be drug down to the bottom of the sea and your treasure will be sunken, never to be enjoyed.


I leave you with this poem by Khenpo Rinpoche:


Equality and Seven Things to Forget

When I realize everything’s equality
I forget all about my close friends and my relatives
It’s OK to forget the objects of your attachment

When I realize wisdom beyond thought
I forget everything included in perceiver and perceived
It’s OK to forget these causes of happiness and pain

Beyond memory, beyond feelings
I forget all about experiences, the good ones and the bad
It’s OK to forget them, they just go up and down

When I know the three kayas are present naturally
I forget all about the deity’s generation stage practice
It’s OK to forget the Dharma made of concepts

When I realize the result’s inside of me
I forget all about the results you have to strive and strain to get
It’s OK to forget the Dharma of the relative truth

Meditating on the key instructions
I forget all other explanations and their conventional terms
It’s OK to forget the Dharma that makes you arrogant

When I realize appearances are my texts
I forget all about those big books with their letters in black
It’s OK to forget the Dharma that’s just a heavy load

Tibetan page 674.
Under the guidance of Khenpo Tsültrim Gyamtso Rinpoche, translated by Ari Goldfield, July 13, 2002,
Dechen Choling, France.

No comments:

Post a Comment