Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Who Am I?



1. Who am I?

The gross body, which is composed of the seven humors (dhatus), I am not; the five cognitive sense organs, i.e., the senses of hearing, touch, sight, taste, and smell, which apprehend their respective objects, i.e., sound, touch, color, taste, and odor, I am not; the five cognative sense organs, i.e., the organs of speech, locomotion, grasping, excreting, and enjoying, I am not; the five vital airs, prana, etc., which perform resectively the five functions of in-breathing, etc., I am not; even the mind which thinks, I am not; the nescience too, which is endowed only with the residual impressions of objects, and in which there are no objects, and in which there are no objects and no functions, I am not.

2. If I am none of these, then who am I?

After negating all the above-mentioned as "not this, not this," the Awareness which alone remains--that I am.

Quoted from
The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi

1 comment: